Altair® Louvre Windows are an energy efficient way to control natural light and fresh air into your home or office environment.
Energy Efficient Altair Louvre Windows
At Breezway, we believe buildings should be designed to work with nature, rather than sealing up and fighting against it. Altair Louvre Windows allow air conditioning and artificial lights to be turned off so you can live naturally. View the range of videos below to learn more.
Altair Louvre Windows offer the following benefits including:
- Increased energy efficiency, health and productivity of building occupants.
- Reduced need for air conditioning to keep the room at a comfortable temperature, saving electricity and the running costs of a building.
- Appropriate U-values and ventilation for all climate zones.
To learn more about the benefits of natural ventilation, Breezway has produced a number of Technical Bulletins to assist with your building designs. These include:
- Benefits of natural ventilation
- Ventilation openings of various window types
- The potential advantages of increasing ventilation in schools
- The impact of air infiltration and natural ventilation on annual air conditioning load
0% Fresh air
12% to 30% Fresh air depending on wind direction
40% Maximum fresh air
Altair Louvre Windows
90% Fresh air regardless of wind direction
Cross Flow Ventilation
The importance of window placement.
Ventilation openings are often needed in internal walls. The drawing above illustrates how a ventilation louvre between rooms is more efficient than just having external louvre windows alone.
Thermal Chimney Effect
Installing windows up high Another good way to naturally cool a room is to place some Altair Powerlouvre Windows up high. This is effective because rising hot air is able to escape the room through the high up louvres, helping to keep the room cool.
Altair Louvres seal tight
- The living hinge design that resists water and air penetration between the clips and the channels.
- An over centre locking mechanism which applies strong locking pressure to blades when fully closed.
Altair Compliance with Clause H1
Altair Louvres can meet the minimum energy performance requirements
The NZBC Clause H1 offers a variety of compliance options to which Altair Louvre Windows can meet the mimimum energy requirements. For example:
- Using the Schedule Method – Altair Louvre Windows can be used with a low e coating in a timber frame.
- Using the Calculation or Modelling Method – Any Altair Louvre can be used provided other building elements compensate.
Altair Louvres also offer other benefits that are not measured in the energy ratings, including:
- Health benefits of ventilation
- Ability to precisely control ventilation
- Stylish aesthetics
- Customising opportunities
New Zealand Climate Zones
Choose Altair Louvres to best suit your climate
There are a variety of good Altair Louvre Window design principles that can achieve a comfortable indoor climate and save energy used for heating and cooling across all New Zealand climate zones.
Consider installing a number of clear windows in the northern orientation of the home with low window system R-values (this can be achieved through framing or low e glazing). By incorporating Altair Louvre Windows next to fixed lite panels, a beautiful view can be framed while still gaining natural ventilation to improve the indoor air quality and reduce the build-up of mould or condensation.
Climate Zone 1
Climate Zone 2
Balance North Island, except Central Plateau
Climate Zone 3
South Island & Central Plateau