Altair® Powerlouvre Automated Windows
Electronically Control your Altair® Louvres.
A sleek and elegant solution
Low voltage Altair Powerlouvre Windows are a sleek, elegant solution to your window automation needs. Designed for easy installation, the Powerlouvre Window removes the complexity of sourcing special trades to install the system and is ideal for a range of design applications such as high out-of-reach locations or as floor-to-ceiling feature windows.
The Powerlouvre is available to fit into a variety of aluminium or timber window frames from approved Window Fabricators.
Breezway Powerlouvres can be controlled by Apptivate Control Units or a third party Building management systems (BMS). For more information on Building Management Systems please contact your builder or designer.
PowerlouvreTM Apptivate® Control Unit
Operate your Powerlouvres with a simple touch of a button.
- Touch sensitive, standard sized wall plate.
- Single touch to fully open, fully close or can be precisely opened to any intermediate position to control airflow into the home.
- Automatic operation in response to an in-built temperature sensor or timers to maintain indoor comfort.
- Bluetooth Smart module to permit remote control by compatible smartphones and tablets.
- Single and dual channel models available to suit individual needs.
Download to your compatible iOS or Android Bluetooth smart phone or tablet.
- Remote opening and closing of each Apptivate Control Unit. The range of the Bluetooth signal is approximately 10m – 20m. (The range will be maximised by having a clear line of sight to the Apptivate Control Unit.)
- Set automatic operation in response to the Apptivate in-built temperature sensor and timers to naturally cool or retain warmth when required.
- ‘Night mode’ adjusts the brightness of the Apptivate Unit LED lights overnight.
- A single command can open or close all Powerlouvre Windows in range.
- For easy identification personalise the names of Apptivate Control Units and channels controlled by the Powerlouvre App.
- Provides feedback of the open/close position of connected Powerlouvre Windows.
Apptivate® Control Unit and PowerlouvreTM App Demo
Watch the video below to see a demonstration of the Powerlouvre Apptivate Control Unit and the Powerlouvre App.
Powerlouvre App Operation
Compatible devices will have Bluetooth Smart modules installed and have an iOS or Android operating system. Devices include:
- iPhone 4s and newer
- iPad 3 and newer
- iPad Mini and newer
- iPod Touch 5
- Samsung Galaxy Range
- HTC One, MAX
- Sony Experia Range
- Droid RAZR, Ultra, Maxx, Mini
- Google Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10
- Close physical proximity between the Powerlouvre App and the Apptivate Control Unit, and
- An access code (defined by the first Powerlouvre App to be associated to the Apptivate Control Unit).
If restricting access to the Apptivate Control Unit is not practical then users can seal the hole to block access to the factory reset button from the front panel necessitating the unscrewing of the Apptivate Control Unit from the wall in order to carry out a factory reset.
Automatic operation in response to temperature
- Automatically open the windows to naturally cool the room, or
- Automatically close the windows to retain warmth within the room.
- Remotely from the Powerlouvre App, or
- Directly on the Apptivate Control Unit.
- As the temperature sensor will be located within the wall cavity it may be susceptible to environmental conditions so the temperature readings will be indicative of the air temperature within the room, but will not exactly reflect the air temperature within the room.
- When responding to temperatures both channels of Dual Channel Apptivate Control Units will respond simultaneously to the temperature sensor.
Automatic operation in response to timers
- Open the windows
- Move the window to an intermediate position
- Close the windows
- Begin responding automatically to temperatures.
This allows the windows to be set to operate in anticipation of the building occupant’s daily routine. For example, opening before employees arrive to pre-cool the building, or responding to temperatures from when a homeowner goes to bed so that the windows close when the temperature drops in the early hours of the morning.
Timer events can be enabled or disabled:
- Remotely from the Powerlouvre App, or
- Directly on the Apptivate Control Unit.
This allows timer events to easily be disabled as the homeowner leaves the house or enabled as they arrive home.
Control of multiple Apptivate Control Units
For ease of identification:
- Each of the Apptivate Control Units can be given a customised name.
- Each of the channels of a Dual Channel Apptivate Control Unit can be given a customised name.
- The Powerlouvre App will indicate any Apptivate Control Units which are out of range, or with which a Bluetooth Smart connection cannot be made.
For maximum control and ease of use, all the Apptivate Control Units associated to a Powerlouvre App can be operated simultaneously or independantly.
Control by multiple Powerlouvre Apps
Note: Only one Powerlouvre App will be able to maintain an active Bluetooth Smart connection with an Apptivate Control Unit at any given time.
Powerlouvre Installation Considerations
Electrical Requirements & Installation
- Operating voltage: 24V DC
- Maximum allowed voltage: 29V DC
- Maximum constant current: 0.25A per motor
- Maximum startup current: 0.5A per motor
- Opening time: Approx 14 seconds
- Working temperature: -20 to +60 degrees Celsius
Note: In extreme cold conditions the windows will not operate if there is excessive ice build up or if the louvre blades are frozen together.
Maximum Constant Current Requirements
|Powerlouvre Window Type||Motors per bay||Maximum Constant Current Required||Maximum Instantaneous Start Up Current Required|
|2-9 Blades High||1||0.25 amps per bay||0.5 amps per bay|
|10-18 Blades High||2||0.5 amps per bay||1.0 amps per bay|
The direction in which the Powerlouvre Window moves is determined by the polarity of the low voltage current supplied. Once the Powerlouvre Window has fully opened or fully closed, an electronic circuit stops power being delivered to the motors to prevent the motor being damaged should power be supplied continuously. Download a copy of the Component Powerlouvre Wiring Guides below.
Breezway supplies transformers (as an optional extra) that have been specified to meet the requirements of Powerlouvre Windows.
- 240V AC current transformed to 24V DC current.
- Suitable for powering up to 6 Powerlouvre motors simultaneously.
The Powerlouvre Window has no integrated battery back up. If the power supply fails the window cannot be operated. If battery back up is required, systems are readily available and can be integrated by qualified suppliers.
For more information, please read the Battery Backup Technical Bulletin here.
- Cyclical open/closed: 30,000 cycles
- Salt mist: 1,000 hours
- Extreme humidity: 90% humidity at 35 degrees celcius
- Extreme heat: 60 degrees celcius
- Extreme cold: 0 degrees celcius
- Electromagnetic compatibility: Complies with the requirements of EN61000-6-3 and AS/NZS 4251.1
Powerlouvre Opening Configurations
Powerlouvre Windows that are 10-18 blades high contain 2 motors per bay, one motor drives the blades in the top half of the bay and the other motor drives the blades in the bottom half of the bay.
10-18 Blade high Powerlouvre Windows are wired such that the blades in the top halves of all the bays form a bank that opens and closes simultaneously and the blades in the bottom halves of all the bays form a second bank that opens and closes simultaneously.
The top and bottom banks can be operated independantly of each other.
|Powerlouvre Window Opening Configurations|
|No. of Blades||Motors per bay||Banks of Blades Controlled from Head Downwards|
Powerlouvre Cabling Requirements
Multiple Windows in parallel
Total wire length does not include the internal wiring of each Powerlouvre Window.
Tables calculated using a window current of 0.25A and a voltage drop of 5% or 1 V @ 24V.
|Wire Size||Motors||Max Distance from Power Supply to Motor|
Apptivate Control Unit Standard Wiring
Up to 6 Powerlouvre Motors can be wired in parallel to each Apptivate Control Unit motor group.
It is recommended that transformers are located in a position that enables easy power cycling.
Converting from a Breezway Remote Control to an Apptivate Control Unit
Powerlouvre Windows which are remotely controlled can be updated to allow control by the Powerlouvre Apptivate Control Unit but do require some adjustments to the internal and external wiring of the window.
See pdf link below for more information on converting a Breezway Remote Control to an Apptivate Control Unit Technical Bulletin.
View/download RC Powerlouvre to Apptivate Technical Bulletin
Building Management System Compatibility
The Altair Powerlouvre Window System has been reviewed for compatibility by the leading suppliers of building management systems. When considering integration into a building management system, the following should be considered:
- Breezway does not supply the various sensors which could be used to instigate opening or closing of the windows (eg temperature or rain sensors).
- Transformer requirements may differ from the requirements of Powerlouvre Windows controlled by Apptivate Control Units.
- The Powerlouvre Window System does not include an inbuilt electronic mechanism to inform the building management system of its current open or close position.
- Powerlouvre Motors include limit switches which prevent the motors from continuing to attempt to open or close the window once the window is fully open or fully closed, thereby preventing damage to the motors and electronics.
Apptivate Control Units are not compatible with building management systems.
See pdf link below for more information on Connecting Altair Powerlouvre Windows to C-Bus Systems Technical Bulletin.
View/download Powerlouvre Windows to C-Bus Systems Technical Bulletin
Breezway Powerlouvre Windows should be operated at monthly intervals. Frames should be cleaned periodically as per Breezway Care and Maintenance recommendations.
The Powerlouvre Apptivate Control Unit is incompatible with some switch mode transformers (eg Meanwell GS40 series) due to excessive electrical noise.
Overtightening the installation screws of an Apptivate Control Units can cause the unit to bend which can cause the touch sensor to malfunction.
Powerlouvre Troubleshooting Guides
View/download Powerlouvre App Control & Troubleshooting